Monday, June 18, 2007

Day 9 Rhubarb, Coulees, Cacti, Asparagus and Sweepers
















Above is a photo from Sunday's film shoot...we spent the day in the coulees...again an amazing day. This shot shows the film process, Paul and Chris are the marking the edge of the filming frame...and Shrisse, the AD is checking the shot. This shoot reminded me of the Dutch 'gleaning' paintings. The cast/crew were amazed by the flowering cacti which were in bloom...the coulee cacti have papery thin yellow flowers. The cacti growing in my garden have not bloomed yet...this is their second year...they may not be in a sunny enough place.

We had a long day of filming 7-7 or 8...then went for a really nice dinner. We had an amazing crew...everyone worked collectively. I was more than impressed by the openness of Sobaz and Camille. They respected and encouraged input from the crew, there was no ego in sight, it was really refreshing.

At the end of the day, as we drove by the house to supper, I saw Tim at the end of the block unclogging the storm drain so the rain could go down the storm drain.

Monday...

I went and visited Sara and Addison...still cute. I then drove Camille, Sobaz, Charisse, Karen and Lee to Calgary...the trip conversation was amazing and will stay with me for quite a while...

Last Thursday I was at Heather's...I think I may have told this story in a previous blog...but, okay long story short...there was Asparagus and Rhubarb growing in the yard of the abandoned house beside Heather and Moira's house over on 12th Street and 5 a Ave...as I was probably going to be late getting home from Calgary, I asked Paul that if he got home early tonight if he could go over and get Asparagus and Rhubarb...he was not keen on it was I was 'taking it without permission'...however when I got home tonight he had gone and gotten the plants, which was great.

So when I got home from Calgary we planted 4 Rhubarb and...I am guessing...eight or ten Asparagus plants. I tried to follow Jon's planting suggestions...(make a mound to put the roots over) but it was difficult as the roots were very vertical rather than horizontal...so I am crossing my fingers and hoping they will take. I also planted a couple more Sweet Basil plants...I love Basil...it is so good on sandwiches...in salads...sauces...ummm, anything really. We bought a new hose...the other one was leaking...it was annoying...I did not realize how much it annoyed me until I used the new one...yea...no water running down my wrist - we are going to fix the old hose (as it is a great soft rubber one) and use it in the back yard. I was surprised that with all this rain, we noticed that when we planted the rhubarb, only 4 inches down, the soil was very dry. The good news is the transplanted plants are really picking up...however the zucchini seeds have not sprouted yet...but it has been...wow... just over a week since they were planted...wow it seems so much longer...

While I was out planting tonight two boys, about ten, drove by...I said hi, they said hi back and smiled. I explained the purpose of the garden and told them next time they drove their bikes by if there were any tomatoes (there will be no tomatoes for a while...but) they were welcome to have one...they said they would...they drove by again 1/2 hour later or so, smiled and said hi again...nice. A couple walked by...they expressed concern that the garden was 'illegal...isn't that city property?'...I have gotten that response a few times...it is funny that when people are fertilizing, watering, cutting the 'city property' grass their actions are accepted without question...but when planting vegetables and flowers is is considered dodgey...

Hannah came over for a quick glass of wine, a visit on the deck and to pick up her bike...not much happened after that...catching up on quiet time after the busy...but wonderful weekend. I have to get back to writing tomorrow...I am looking forward to it. I am also looking forward to sharing the garden Thursday...

No comments: