Thursday, June 14, 2007

Day 5 Heather in the Garden
















Above is my flowering Kale...I love it...I planted a bunch in the boulevard public garden, but they were a bit scraggly...so I am hoping they will take - Flowering Kale is so wonderful in the fall - it can take a couple frosts, and even after it wilts after frost it is wonderful. I could be partial though.

Heather came over this morning for coffee on the deck, the sun was warm, and the conversation warmer. You know...one of those conversations that has many eye hugs? It was more than nice to see her.

A bit of a departure from the lovely conversation, but exciting none the less, I went over to Heather (and Moira's) house at noon, she has/is renovating their house literally to the floor joists and studs, amazing...but the most amazing part (well like for me, most probably not for them) is that the house next to theirs is abandoned, is to be torn down in July...but...there are about 10 or 12 Asparagus plants growing in the front yard, in amongst the tall grass...I do mean tall, 3' or so...AND in the back yard are three or four very mature Rhubarb plants...so we will be doing some guerrilla plant relation in the next week.

I was curious about the Asparagus...if it was okay to transplant at this point, I asked Jon and he forwarded this to me...just in case anyone else is wondering: From Mother Earth site: "Well, from the research that I have done on Asparagus,it is best to transplant the plants in the Spring or Fall. Probably the spring would be the best as the plants will be stressed and a frost or freeze could kill them. As far as transplanting them: Make sure that you build little mounds in the bed that you are moving the plants to. Lay the roots of the Asparagus over the mounds such that they are nice and spread out. The big mistake that most people make when transplanting Asparagus is that they leave the roots all bundled up. This kills the transplanted plant." So I will give it a try and hopefully where ever they are transplanted we can have fresh Asparagus next spring.

Heather is doing a documentary for Helen Schuler (is that spelt right?) Coulee Centre...it is their 25 anniversary. She was able to interview, on camera, dozens of people who had volunteered over the past 25 years. Some people were now seniors. Most interesting, she said there were many immigrants that had volunteered over the years as they had come to Lethbridge, were fascinated with the landscape, and wanted to learn more about Southern Alberta's amazing landscape, and so went, and eventually volunteered, at the centre. It made me contemplate my own curiosity, or lack thereof, of the incredible coulee/prairie space I have resided in for 20 years now. Although I have been to the centre and gone on some walks...I do not know much about the native plants of the coulees and river bottom.

Heather said she informed some of the staff at Helen Schurler (egad, I am now sure that spelling is wrong) of this public garden project. She said they were excited about the idea, and hoped that more people would turn their boulevards into public gardens...I hope they will as well.

I went to the garden this afternoon. Some of the native plants are now coming back, thank goodness, I was very worried about them. One of the newly planted Purple Basil doesn't look like it is going to make it. I transplanted some self seeded Lemon Balm, Cilantro, and Black Eyed Susans from the upper garden. While I was planting a girl came up to me to ask if I had seen any dogs go my...I admitted that I had my head down most of the time...but I had not seen any dogs go by. She had lost both her dogs, Kelsey and Martha (lovely, but unusual dog names, don't you think?)...despite her many calls, while I was in the garden this afternoon she had not found them. I am not sure if she found her dogs...I am wondering...and hoping she has.

Tonight I did not work in the garden, I met Pat and Catherine for a catch up...it was lovely.

We are celebrating the Summer Solstice with a gathering in the Public Garden. The address is: 1309 7 Ave South, and will take place from 6pm until sundown. It is a potluck event, so if you come please bring something to share. We will have a bonfire. All are invited to come.

Lucy can not make it to the celebration, but she sent a greeting, " Happy Litha / Alban Heruin". Ditto!

My bike, that I lent Maria...was stolen from her yard today...ug - looks like I will have to get a new bike...darn.

The picture below is a great door from a retreat centre on Vancouver Island that Lisa worked at...wonderful, eh?

No comments: