Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Day 2 Muriel's Gifts















In the morning, and slowly during the day, I planted more plants, shuffling and dividing plants from my own yard. I spoke to neighbors who shared with me that they are explaining the garden project to other neighbors who ask them what is going on. So they were asking updates so that they can update. Cool.

It was a slow day, I was pretty sore.

My Mom stopped by after work and had a gin and tonic on the deck with us. She loved the garden and said she would bring some plants over. She has an amazing, tiny garden on the westside.

A man drove by at about 6pm...he slowed down looking at the garden...I got up and walked toward the boulevard and so he came out of his truck to talk. He said he liked the garden, I started to explain the concept and he said yes he had heard, Annie had told him about it. He said he would stop by again for a visit and chat, his name was Chai and he was very smiley.

At 7pm we grabbed our wheelbarrow and walked to Muriel's house. She lives 4 or 5 blocks away. We spent the first hour or so just touring her garden, she has an amazing garden with many native plants. Her cousin has a native plant greenhouse so Muriel passed on some of the knowledge she has gained about native flowers and grasses. The wonderful shovel she is holding was her mother's, "this shovel is older than I am", she explained. The second hour we divided and dug up plants. She gave us some Heritage Iris' - they have a wonderful scent. She also have us some Pussy Toes, Little Blue Stem Grass, Silvery Aster, Golden Margarete Daisy (aka Dyers Chamomile), Soap Wort, Michael Mass Daisy (aka New England Aster) and some Grandpa's Whiskers (that is the common name I cannot remember the proper name...I will have to ask her again).

We then walked home with our wheelbarrow of plants, and planted them as soon as we got home.

It has been windy every day since we planted the garden...so the plants are not too happy - but they are determined and will be okay - it would be nice though if they could have a nice soft rain and then a calm sunny few days...

No comments: