Saturday, June 16, 2007

Day 7/8 Cilantro and The Farmer's Market
















So today was not a gardening day...although I did get a bit of weeding done and went to Annie and Dana's who left us an amazing water map.

So you might be wondering about the above inside...un-garden photgraph. Well...today I spent the last 14 hours on a film shoot...an amazing film from by Camille Turner with Sobaz Benjamin (co-producer). The above picture was taken over our lunch break and brain storming session for the afternoon shots. Their film explores race, identity and place...those are my words/interpretation. I got up at 6 and we did location scouts 7-9am...then returned home and I watered and weeded a bit...

Pat stopped by to see if we might have some Cilantro in the garden, as there was no Cilantro at the market...I was happy we could give her some from the garden. So we had a quick visit and contemplated what she could do with her garden as she has experienced three episodes of vandalism as her house. As she looked at the public garden she had said it was funny because she was trying to figure out how to have a garden and NOT have anyone taking her veggies/flowers...or worse worried someone might just wreck them. I have to say that is the only thing I would find disheartening...if someone just wrecked the garden/plants...even if they took the plants that would be fine...but just to wreck them would be sad.

I then went back into the house to steam the costumes and get them laid out...the actors/performers arrived at 10:30...it was quite a process to get them costumed...but they looked amazing. We then went to the farmers market and they filmed a magical performance - I won't even try to explain it here - but if you want to stop by some time for a chat in the garden I would love to share my experiences of the day...it was so moving.

We ended the shooting day at the wind mill farm by Magrath...we were in (this is a guess) a sugar beet field...which had wonderful large rain droplets on them (below). I gathered small flat and round rocks...I have a rock fetish and gather them for reminders of near or far travels. I also collect heart shaped rocks...I have for 6 years (but I only have 8...they are hard to find)...As we were waiting at the film shoot Hannah asked why I was picking up rocks...I told her and told her about my on-going heart shaped rock searches...Hannah looked down and said, 'one like this?' and handed me a small black heart shaped rock...I could not believe it...it was magic.

We, the crew and actors, then met at the Lodge (in the odd fake, real garden), in the lounge...Camille/Sobaz and the other actors Lee, Karen and Cherrise, are staying there...we discussed and planned the shoots for the next day...and the 'piano man' played in the background...I think he has been playing there every time I have ever been there..

On the way home we stopped at Annie and Dana's to water their garden...their note specifically mapped out what needed and didn't need to be watered...my favorite part of the note was the explanation that some of the plants (that did not need watering) may look limp...but to not water them...as it was only a ruse!!...a plant ruse...too funny. Their garden is really nice...lots of perennials...and they have new rose bushes and a veggie garden...in their note they offered us green onions to take home...but I was too tired...maybe next time we go to water...oh...and there was so much 'cotton' in their yard it looked like it had snowed - it was beautiful.
















So does anyone know if this plant...pictured above...is a sugar beet?

No comments: