Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Day 79 Ahhhhh, HA! Horsetails!












Yesterday I posted a picture and asked if anyone knew the name of the wonderful, mysterious grass I had in the garden (I planted it...but I had forgotten the name).

Annie posted to the link - answering "this grass is equisetum arvense - horsetails. They are apparently very ancient plants from the age of the dinosaurs. Rumour has it their roots go very, very deep."
She left me this link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equisetum_arvense
and from there I found this link http://www.efloras.org/object_page.aspx?object_id=6205&flora_id=1
from where I stole the above illustration : /

2 comments:

Shayna said...

Hi Loralee,

got your comment on our Briarpatch blog. Your gardening/art project
sounds very cool. We're just arriving in Saskatchewan right now, but
we should keep in touch and see if it's possible to meet up when we
get to Alberta.

peace to you and your gardens

shayna and dom

Shayna said...

oh yah, you can e-mail us at shayna.stock@gmail.com