Sunday, August 5, 2007

Day 51 Shannon and Stephanie



















I finally got to meet Shannon and Stephanie in person. Shannon had emailed with encouragement regarding the blog and the Boulevarden, and told me about her asphalt boulevards (I posted our 'conversations', pictures and information in an earlier blog). She had heard about the Boulevarden from her friend and neighbor Stephanie (who also has an asphalt boulevard). Both Stephanie and Shannon work at the Research Station and ride their bikes to work - the day they stopped by the garden they were on their way home.

We chatted about options for their boulevard...they are thinking that next year they will have a bobcat come and take out the asphalt and then plant drought tolerant plants...I was telling them that when I was in Montreal I noticed that (as there is so little space...especially for gardens...) everyone seems to creatively use every available space. I saw several 'gardens' that were built on top of asphalt drive ways. People would use rocks or wood to 'hold' the soil and then plant tomatoes, vegetables, herbs and flowers...it was really wonderful. I am not sure if that would work for Shannon and Stephanie's boulevards, but we were wondering if even just adding some 'planters' might be a solution, at least for now...anyway I am anxious to see what they come up with.

Stephanie is on the Green Map Committee which is 'mapping' the eco-spaces in Lethbridge. Check out the website at http://www.stewlab.com/greenmap.html

Below are a couple pictures of the asphalt boulevards...crazy eh?

No comments: