Sunday, August 5, 2007

Day 52 You say BaaSIL I say BAYsil...


















I was not feeling like performing in the garden today. I was feeling a bit antisocial and my mind was preoccupied with my thesis.

However, today a man drove his scooter by the Boulevarden, then backed up and was looking down at the herb garden. Paul jumped up, walked down to the garden and said hi...the man asked about the different herbs. He (Paul didn't get his name) said he loved Basil and would love to have some to take home, so Paul picked some for him.

Paul is pretty much is always up for visiting and sharing the garden. He has been up for, and worked hard on, this art project from the get go...in consequence and as I have said in earlier posts, this has become a very collaborative project.

The other day when Caroline, the Lethbridge Herald interviewer, was interviewing us she asked us if the garden was expensive to create and maintain - right away Paul piped up and said, "the garden gives so much more than it 'cost'...and I would have paid twice as much...as it has been an amazing experience". I thought that was very cool. Paul is much more able to interact with the public than I am...but that is not surprising is it?

The Boulevarden has provided a space for interaction. Largely my ephemeral performances have included forcing myself out of my comfort zone, down into the public garden and interacting with my community. These interactions may have had more of an impact on me than they have on the community...

No comments: