Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Day 42 Boots, Rocks and Cool Neighbors

















I found these boots at an estate sale in the Crowsnest Pass, they don't fit me, although I really wish they did...I bought them for the garden, to put plants in (although I am not sure I will have the heart to after all). You can tell the boots had a really good life and were well loved by their owner who resoled them twice. I bought them from his two of his daughters who were selling his stuff at an estate sale...it was sad (although they were lovely). I am happy to be able to have his boots.

Last night as I was weeding the garden in between our place and Richard and Marlene's place, Richard walked by, he is mulling over his next 'garden' move...more rock path he thinks. There is always something going on in a garden. Richard and I chatted a bit and then he said, "you should be really proud of what you have done with the garden, people stop by there all the time...like right now, look". Down at the garden was a young woman walking among the plants looking fairly intently at them. I came down and started to introduce myself and give my 'spiel' when I realized it was Tiera (although we had both forgotten each other's names so reintroduced ourselves unselfconsciously which was nice). You may remember Tiera from previous blog - she is the woman who had her 'Rosemary taken by someone who needed it more than I did'...such a lovely attitude. We chatted a bit about the garden and the growth of the Zucchini. She had never tried Zucchini...but is going to take some for her camping trip this weekend. She is also going to come back for some Rosemary.

When I got back up to the house and to a bit of admittedly lack luster weeding (really just putting in time while Paul brought me out a wine for some deck time), Richard shared that he approached the golf course he is a member of and offered to share his perennials with them. He said he has so many to divide every year anyway so he thought it would be nice to share them. Nice! We have very cool neighbors.

Sunday we went rock collecting...found some beauties.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Hi Loralee! I was just directed to this blog via your facebook note. I've long had an interest in guerilla gardening, and you can't imagine how excited I am to see some gg going down in Lethbridge! Corinne and I live across from some large apartment buildings surrounded by acres of lawn, and we've often thought how cool it would be to turn some of that wasted space into a community garden for the residents of the buildings. Apartment living has its downsides - namely the fact that there is no direct access to the street and little opportunity for interaction with neighbours, etc. Seeing this blog has inspired me to approach the owner of those buildings to see if we could initiate such a project. Seems like a win-win situation for everyone involved. Thanks!