Sunday, July 8, 2007

Day 27 Herb Garden, Rock Collecting and Early Evening View















The herb garden is really filling up...and there is lots of basil - so please come by for some. Today after watering/weeding I was sitting on the deck when a couple came up to the herb garden and were looking at the plants; Tiera and Ryan were their names. Tiera lives down the block and said that a neighbor told her about the 'public garden' and in particular the herb garden. Tiera had a potted Rosemary plant at her house, which unfortunately was taken off her step a bit ago. She said with a smile...'well I guess maybe someone needed it more than me'...nice. Tiera told me she has an herb book with a bunch of great recipes, one tip in particular she shared with me was to use Rosemary stems as 'skewers' when making Kabobs...that sounds wonderful. Tiera promised to stop by again.















I decided to make plant labels with rocks...with the Boulevard 'explanation board' on a large rock...so Paul and I went rock hunting today...we looked pretty goofy (we realized as we got to our first field) as we were wearing our urban sandals, carrying grocery bags, and stepping gingerly (I am pretty sure I was whining as well) in the fresh tilled farmers fields (your foot sinks 4 inches or so with every step...yuck) as when they till them over there are lotsa rocks. We have lots of rocks for the individual plant labels...but could not find a large one for the 'explanation board' (not sure if I need to put single quotes around those two words...but anyway you get my drift)...I might have to break down and buy a rock at Burnco.

I planted a few more plants today...we stopped at Dan's Greenhouse and they had veggies and annuals on sale so we bought some Celery (do you think that will really grow?...we'll see...right now it looks like Flat Leaf Parsley...just so you know if you come by for Parsley...hey wait...I just realized I have not planted any Parsley in the garden...oops). I also bought a Gay Feather and Japanese Fern for up by the deck (I have desired a Japanese Fern for a long time...finally I have one and it is just as lovely as I imagined). I then planted some large yellow and orange Marigolds...I know garden snobs would not approve...but I love Marigolds, Hollyhocks, and Petunias...

Below is my view of the Boulevarden this evening as I was having a glass of wine on the deck.

No comments: