Saturday, October 6, 2007

Day 117 Thanks Giving Harvest

I am posting a bunch of pictures, I hope you will indulge me...'cause I had a ball in the garden today, and wanted to share the experience a bit.

The garden is winding down very quickly and I am a bit melancholy watching the plants slowly die.

But...today was great...it was one of those wonderful evenings when you are working outside with a friend, happy as can be...with a cold nose and a warm heart...I know a bunch of ya are groaning at the 'warm heart thing' but I am too high from the gardening to care : D

Today Paul and I spent a bunch of time in the garden doing the fall stuff...I picked the last of the (green) tomatoes...some are a bit sogged from getting a bit of frost - but I am just going to put them in the freezer for winter sauces. If I didn't have a bunch of writing to do I would love to make some chutney...I love green tomato chutney...zummers.

Paul dug up his Celeriac...(pictured on the cutting board...if you know Celeriac you know that it is pretty tiny) is his Celeriac and one of our Celery. Paul really likes cooking with Celeriac...the bounty was less than brilliant but still pretty exciting.

He is making a root bake
for Thanksgiving with his home grown Celeriac as well as Potatoes, Carrots, Parsnips and Rutabaga. He cuts them into small pieces, boils them, then mashes them with butter and milk, salt and pepper and then puts it in the oven to bake...it is wonderful!!! Comfy food...

Then we picked our celery...which grew...
but apparently you are supposed to hill it up and we didn't so it is darker green and a bit on the bitter side...great for cooking and for making stocks. We made up some bags of celery and then some bags of celery leaves for making stock. I labeled them and put them in the boulevard tonight.

So I hope ya'll have a good Thanksgiving with your family and friends...or by yourself if that is your trip...or situation... or ug...now I opened that can of worms didn't? Just hope you have a good weekend.

Cheers,
Loralee

Don't forget to email or send a comment if you want to participate in colour bomb bulb planting...

No comments: